Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Chapter One

Now, its just my personal opinion, but don't you think it is necessary for people to understand equine body language before anything else?

When I was young, and given my first lesson, I was not taught how to read a horse, how to understand its body. It took 6 years of fairly pointless [but to a youngster, endlessly enjoyable] lessons at a local barn, where I basically learned the phrase "riding is keeping the horse between you and the ground". The only real time I learned how to read a horse was the year before I left that barn - I was allowed to ride a 16 year old arabian mare, Gwazina, who was - to a greenie rider like myself - the upmost confidance builder. I was a fearless brat, and a spooky mare made me feel bold and powerful, because everyone else in my lesson was terrified of her.

This is when I learned body language. I knew every day this mare would spook at the open door, and I felt her body tense and bulge, grip tight as she inevidably bolted and threw her head. But every day, I kept her by that door. Now, with most riders, this would be the moment of make or break, and this horse made me, more than any other horse I've ever known.

Now, I watch trainers, and have watched trainers for many years in my thirst for knowledge, and I have never seen nor been taught to read a horse until nearly 13 years of horse experiance. I had to learn it, as many hungry horsemen have learned it, and I did so by watching. Observation. No number of books I've read have helped me nearly as much as watching horses interact. I have seen only a small handful of books even touch on the subject of equine interaction.

What do we see when we watch horses? The aggression, submission, passiveness, anger, terror, and love. How do they show us? What do they show us? This primative communication that humans seem to have forgotten. Those who wish to learn the language of the horse, must first forget their tongue and rememeber their eyes and ears.

2 comments:

  1. I could not agree with you more.
    I adore spending time with my mare. Let me tell you, it was not untill I learned to NOT ask her a question or even tell her anything before I listened to what she had to say. My plans then were formed based on what she told me about herself. It took some time before we knew each other but now that we do, it takes very little for us to connect and be at peace.

    Tell us more soon!
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree too, when I shut and started listening to my mare, that is when my educaton began. And please tell us more soon!

    ReplyDelete